Montana's Rate of Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists

If you're involved in a car accident, what do you do if the other person doesn't have insurance? Or, not enough insurance?

Posted: 11/15/2019

In Montana, one in every ten drivers is uninsured according to the 2015 report from the Insurance Research Council. Getting into an accident with of these drivers can be financially devastating, especially if you are assuming their insurance will cover the cost of damage.

Even if the other motorist has insurance, there's a good chance they're only carrying the minimum required by the state or possibly even less. In Montana, the minimum insurance coverage requirement is liability coverage with only $25,000 for body injuries and $20,000 for property damage

Montana Code Annotated 2019

Knowing Your Coverage

Both uninsured and underinsured are available as part of your automobile insurance coverages. Amounts and coverages can vary depending on what you've setup with your insurance agent. You should be able to login to your insurance carrier or view a recent bill to see what your current coverage is. Limits are usually written in three numbers (eg. $25,000/$50,000/$24,000). The first represents the maximum bodily injury for a single person while the second is the maximum for the entire accident. The third number is your coverage for property damage.

It's important to note too that both uninsured and underinsured are personal and portable, meaning that you can use these coverages even if you are not in your own vehicle. For example, these can be used by pedestrians who may be struck outside of their cars.

Claims Process - Filing a Claim under Uninsured or Underinsured

Filing a Claim for uninsured or underinsured can sometimes be a confusing process since your insurance carrier is basically taking the place of the other driver's. As a result, you may be placed in a position of having to prove your claim. Your carrier might only pay when they've determined the other driver is responsible for your injuries, which may require a court judgement to determine the other driver was at fault. The amount you receive is also governed to an extent by Montana's negligent laws.

The claims process can be overwhelming to deal with when you are focusing on your recovery. You don't have to figure this out on your own. Odegaard Kovacich Snipes can take this legal burden off your shoulders. Our firm has the skills to handle accident cases involving personal vehicle accidents as well as commercial. We fight hard for your Maximum Compensation. Regardless of the nature of your accident, we can help you pursue the compensation you deserve

Insurance Information Institute. (2015, March 1). Retrieved November 10, 2019, from
Huffington Post. (2016, May 13). Retrieved November 10, 2019, from